Working On a Dream

Bruce Springsteen's "Working On a Dream" is due to be released on January 27. It finally leaked all over the internet today, so I've spent an some time with it this evening.

Some of the early chatter I heard for this album was pretty bad. So... it's, it's, it's not as bad as that. How 'bout that? There are a few high points, and maybe at this point that should be enough.

From the beginning. ok, there's "Outlaw Pete." What is this thing? I listen, and for whatever reason I'm hearing "Funeral for a Friend" or some such. But while I suppose a song can repeat the same 5 notes over and over and over, and over and over and over again and again and again, and be interesting and good ("Born in the USA," for example), "Outlaw Pete," isn't. At least not yet. To me. On first listen I don't really take in the lyrics, but with a terrible clunker in the 2nd verse ("a mustang pony he did steal," ick!), I imagine I won't be thrilled when I see the full lyrics sheet. So it's fast here, slow there, violins one place and guitars another, here an echo and there the voice bared, and I gotta say I don't much care for the experiment.

But after 8 minutes of that, "My Lucky Day" came roaring in as a great relief, just 4 minutes of straight-forward rock. I was glad my iTunes was set to truncate the between-song time by two seconds, the effect was wonderful. This is maybe the most "E Street" track on the album. Here's Steve Van Zandt singing harmony on the 2nd verse. And now here comes Danny Federici's organ (I assume; I hadn't checked the album credits but that's him, it can't be otherwise), in the perfect place as an old friend should be. And Clarence Clemons, with his one brief shining moment on the album. I don't even have to hear the words, it's my lucky day.

"Working on a Dream" is, for me, the wrong song for the wrong time. It's working on a cliche, but in the context of the album I don't cringe quite so much. By now I'm starting to wonder why Bruce is singing in the upper register on every song. just seems so strained there.

The rest? "Queen of the Supermarket" is a wacky 4th cousin once removed of "I Wanna Marry You" and "Jersey Girl," not that Bruce impresses me as the Shop-Rite type. It's a seeming Dusty Springfield take-off, at least until it all strangely falls apart in the final minute, first with a gratuitous lyric and then a musical departure to parts unknown. Is that a scanner? Oh, well. "What Love Can Do" must be forgettable, because I have forgotten it. But now it rolls around again as I'm writing... what is that, Beau Brummels? Maybe he could play this one live.

The nods continue with "This Life," with "Pet Sounds"-era Beach Boys being the reference. "Good Eye" is a throw-away blues featuring the bullet mike. But Bruce pulls it off so seemingly effortlessly that I find myself wishing for an album of blues throwaways. The lead-in to "Tomorrow Never Knows" reminds me a bit of CCRs "Lookin' Out My Back Door," and is nearly as sweet. The solo in "Life Itself" is interesting enough, either backwards or at least made to sound that way. The 12-string seems a nod to "Eight Mile High" era Byrds, but the music reminds more of Bruce's own "Missing." "Kingdom of Days" and "Surprise, Surprise" sound more or less like "Magic" outtakes. Kingdom has Bruce's first "I love you I love you I love you I do" chorus while channeling a bit of "Girls in Their Summer Clothes." Beatlish flourishes accent "Surprise, Surprise"; I suppose it's nice to have Bruce sing his very own happy happy birthday song to sing, with Patti joining in at the end.

"The Last Carnival" is nearly worth the price of admission to the midway. An instant tear-jerker, with Danny Federici cast in to the role of darling Wild Billy. It's over too fast.

The bonus track, "The Wrestler," is the prize winner... literally now. Maybe the greatest song ever about people and animals missing various limbs.

It'd be a nice thought that Bruce could still come up with something new, rather than nods to this and references to that. Maybe he still can. In the meantime, this isn't so awful, is it?

Comments

Mark said…
Has Outlaw Pete grown on you, Matt? not like a fungus. My children and I love the song. It's poetic, too -- I get such a kick out of the way there are three different characters who sing the chorus. That may be a first for Bruce? The last two songs - carnival and wrestler - are all timers, too. The other songs, kind of forgettable, although Kingdom of Days has a Blood Brothers vibe for me both in style and in lyric. don't ask me to defend that though. it just does.

hope you are well.
Matt Orel said…
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the comment. Not a whole lot, I guess, though the harmonica part straight from "Once Upon a Time in the West" does crack me up a bit. I get visions of Wile E. Coyote when I listen to it... Funny that, as I am told the song is at least somewhat inspired by some comic book that was read to Bruce when he was a child.

--Matt
Mark said…
I would agree that Outlaw Pete is falling a la Wile E. during that musical interlude.

You really haven't liked the last few albums much, have you? I don't think they are BTR or WIESS, however, I enjoy listening to them. And Girls in Their Summer Clothes is in the Top Ten for me.
Matt Orel said…
I loved The Seeger Sessions and The Rising, and liked Magic quite a bit. Devils & Dust sounded to me like what it was -- a collection of mostly outtakes from another album that wasn't all that great (Joad). So, I think the last few albums have been mostly very good, just the one dud really. Working on a Dream isn't in the top tier for me, but it has its moments.
Matt, I'm absolutely crushed...any comments or stories about the Big Man to maybe pull me through?
Matt Orel said…
Mark -- ok, I wrote something. It's not easy. http://mattorel.blogspot.com/2011/06/king-of-entire-known-universe.html

Popular posts from this blog

Name Day

A note from Youngstown... by request

Springsteen & E Street Band: Brooklyn, April 3, 2023