I had a classmates in college named Roosevelt. Everyone knew him as Rosey. I didn't really know him, just met him once, really. But everyone knew who he was. He was a star. His matriculation was reported in Sports Illustrated. He got straight A's. He worked for the governor of Arkansas. He won a Rhodes Scholarship. Everyone who met him loved him, pretty much instantly. And, everyone, everyone, already knew that someday Rosey would be the first African-American to become President of the United States.
This isn't about Rosey, though. Not really. But I thought of Rosey today, when considering recent events.
Last Friday morning, Jeff Zaslow died. His car skidded on ice in to the path of an oncoming semi; he never had a chance. I didn't really know him, just met him once, really. Sure, he did a magic trick for Elianna, who was 5 at the time. And we had a great talk about (what else?) Bruce Springsteen. After that, we traded emails for a time. He sent me articles. Read my website. All of it. Bookmarked it, he said, and noted the broken links -- not to point out that they were broken, but because he wanted to read the concert reviews that were supposed to be on the other ends of the links. This was all very much uplifting to me.
But after a few days the emails stopped, and a few months later Jeff published The Last Lecture, which catapulted him from being a locally well-known writer and Bruce-freak to an internationally well-known writer and Bruce-freak. The sign-off of his first email, "Hope our paths cross again," went unrealized; I never tried to re-connect.
But, this really isn't about Jeff, either. Not really. There are hundreds of perfectly wonderful eulogies written for him already, by perfectly wonderful writers who knew Jeff well.
On Monday of this week I went to Jeff's funeral at my old congregation in Southfield. People in the middle of terrible mourning got up and spoke with amazing grace and eloquence. His daughters quoted Springsteen tracks ("You're Missing" and "Without You"). He was spoken of in terms, almost, of reverence. Especially for how unimpressed Jeff was with himself, how his concern was always for others. And, of what an awesomely perfect father he was. But my lasting message, finally, came from one of his brothers, addressing the mourners in his own family and beyond who had wondered, "I don't think I can go on after this."
Zaslow wrote and said, consistently, things such as, "we’ve got to hug our kids and make the most of each moment, because you never know.” Inevitably, I'm drawn to this Springsteen lyric:
Where the cold wind blows
Tomorrow never knows
Where your sweet smile goes
Tomorrow never knows
You and me, we been standing here my dear
Waiting for our time to come
Where the green grass grows
Tomorrow never knows
I confess, I never much worried about having lost contact with Jeff Zaslow after that wonderful first meeting; we traveled in the same circles, even attended the same shul (albeit at different locations). Inevitably we'd meet again, our paths would cross...
Coming back from Spring Break, senior year in college, Roosevelt Thompson was driving northbound on the New Jersey Turnpike. A southbound semi lost a tire and skidded out of control, crossing over in to the northbound lanes. Rosey never had a chance.
On December 6, I received a credit on a credit card statement: For "SHEA CLASS ACTION LIT. SETTLEMENT AWARD": -$0.05. Five cents! For what, I don't know, but I am 5 cents richer for being a member of the class. What class? After much searching, I have finally found out: It is for something called "Shea, et al. v. Household Bank (SB), National Association, OCSC Case No. OOCC12585." A settlement for $16 million against the company that issues the GM MasterCard. I had to go to Snopes to find it. Another blogger (scroll down to "Windfall") had already reported getting the refund. Now I feel really rich -- the blogger got only one cent in their settlement. One cent! I got a full nickel. HA! Today, my luck with classes continues: I received my check from the WorldCom Settlement Fund . This one is big, big, big! For defrauding millions of investors, the remnants of WorldCom, Citigroup, and Andersen had to shell out over $6 billion in damag...
Bob Seger at Pine Knob, June 19, 2019 Bob Seger lives across the other side of the school district . Our kids went to the same public high school . Our kids played in the West Bloomfield High School Marching Band , and we were both active in the Band Boosters Association, separated by a couple of years. And... ok, there's no "and." We live in different zip codes. One summer afternoon, Lori and I visited friends who have a home on Upper Straits Lake and went kayaking. Almost immediately, we saw an immense mansion on the right. "What's that ???" "Oh, that's Bob Seger's new house." But Bob remains a Michigan man, and there's a strong "he's one of us" feeling to many people who grew up here. But in all this time living in the area, the only time I'd had a full concert with Seger was when we just happened to be seated directly behind him at a Bob Dylan concert in 2007. I'd seen him perform just once, a rendition ...
A few days ago, an article appeared in the Hollywood Reporter. The headline read, "Bruce Springsteen's New Album Is His 'Angriest' Yet." Uh-oh. Bruce Springsteen is "liberal." When he goes off, self-described "conservatives" go wild. Laura Ingraham wrote a book called Shut Up & Sing: How Elites from Hollywood, Politics, and the UN are Subverting America. It was a best seller, even. I don't personally know anyone who actually read it, but that doesn't matter: When Bruce speaks out, there's inevitably a chorus of comments across the country: "Shut Up and Sing!" Sometimes, it goes a bit further. In March, 2011, Springsteen wrote a letter to The Asbury Park Press, commenting on a story that had appeared in the paper 4 days earlier. The letter read, in part, "Thank you for your March 27 front-page story by Michael Symons. 'As poverty rises, cuts target aid.' The article is one of the few t...
Comments